Checklist for kitchen remodel
- Think about what you need.
- Research and plan
- Decide what professionals and suppliers you will need.
- Schematic design
- Select fixtures and materials
- Work on design and construction documents
- Get estimates
- Plan Construction and get ready
- Be flexible during construction and prepare to make final punch list
Source: Homeowner’s Workbook: How to Remodel Your Kitchen
There are three area three storage zones in the kitchen.
The Refrigerator Storage Zone.
Sink Storage Zone
Stove Storage Zone
Kitchen storage works best if items are kept in the correct zone.
Source: Stash It All: Know the 3 Zones of Kitchen Storage
Will a kitchen fit and how to plan one. The article below offers a number of tips.
Kitchen islands are a much-sought-after feature — almost nine out of 10 of our kitchen design and installation firm’s clients ask about them in their first design meeting. A well-planned island layout can allow a smooth workflow and provide a comfortable space for preparing and cooking food. Islands also frequently provide space for dining, working and storage.
Source: How Much Room Do You Need for a Kitchen Island?
Next time you feel cramped in your kitchen take a look at these tiny kitchens.
Source: 10 Tiny Kitchens Whose Usefulness You Won’t Believe
Kitchen renovations and remodeling often run over budget. According to the article below from Houzz there are common reasons the projects go over budget.
- Selecting expensive products or materials – custom cabinets vs. box for example
- Selected products were more expensive than expected
- Change in project scope or design
- Project more complex than expected
- Discover unrelated construction related problems
- Poor project management
- Poor communication
- Unexpected code building code requirements
- Change service providers
More detailed list
- Custom cabinetry vs. box
- Special features in cabinets/ pull our shelves, spice racks and more can drive up cost.
- Selecting higher priced countertops
- Selecting more expensive appliances
- Exposing unforeseen structural issues
- Code compliance
- Changing your mind during construction – Add not making selections before you start to budget busters.
- Project creep where the dining room or living room now needs work to match the beautiful new kitchen.
Source: From the Pros: 8 Reasons Kitchen Renovations Go Over Budget
Most Popular Kitchen Storage Ideas on Houzz
- Custom Pantries
- Corner Drawers
- Utensil Drawer
- Undersink drawer
- Pullout trash can
- Cookie sheet drawer
- Appliance garage
- Deep cabinet organizer
- Rolling cabinet or cart
- Spice storage
- Kitchen mail station
- Dish drawer
- Pet bowls
- Open shelves
- Pull our shelves
Source: The 15 Most Popular Kitchen Storage Ideas on Houzz
Unless you remodel on a regular basis there are a few questions you need to ask. You nee to know what questions to ask. Here are some tips.
- What codes do I need to be aware of in my community and do I need a permit?
- How should the cabinet drawers and drawers open?
- What edge should I use on my countertop?
- What finish do I want on my appliances and fixtures?
- What style sink should you use?
- What finish should I use on the countertops; polished, honed, leather look?
- What material do I want on the toe kicks?
These may not be the most unimportant questions but they ones that are often overlooked.
Source: Your New Kitchen: 7 Tricky Questions You Didn’t Know You’d Ask
I received a call recently that a year old Eclipse sink was dull and stained. The customer sent me these pictures and asked me how to “fix’ this stained sink.
The consumer told me she was using one of the “bubbling cleaning” products. The instructions on the can said they could be used on a number of surfaces including stainless steel. I do not know if that cleaner caused the issue, but the sink was obviously dull and had a definite brown hue. In short, it looked like an aging, poor quality sink. When she sent me the picture, I called and discussed the issue. Based on the conversation the user was so scared of damaging the sink she had used liquid cleaners only.
In many past articles on this blog, I have recommended Bar Keepers Friend and a plastic scrubbing pad like a Scotch Brite pad.
Below are the after pictures. It is the same sink as the on in the pictures above. Eclipse sinks are made to be used and cleaned.
Ten common Kitchen Design Mistakes
- Not enough storage
- Bad Layout and workflow
- Insufficient counter space where needed
- Bad traffic flow
- Bad cabinet spacing
- Poor ventilation
- Inadequate trash and recycling space
- Insufficient task lighting
- Poorly planned outlets and switches
- Irreversible trend-led design choices
Below is the source article for this list.
Source: How to Avoid the 10 Most Common Kitchen Design Dilemmas | Fox News
There are as many opinions on using granite in the design of your new kitchen. The article listed below shows how to use incorporate five different granite colors into kitchen designs.
See granite types from white to black in action, and learn which cabinet finishes and fixture materials pair best with each
Source: 5 Favorite Granites for Gorgeous Kitchen Countertops